Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Why I Write In Shifting Point of Views by A.L. Jackson



I want to thank Monique for inviting me on the blog today. Monique gave me the freedom to choose whatever topic I wanted related to my book, so I thought it might be cool to talk a little bit about why I always write in multiple point of views.

I don’t know about you, but I always like to see and hear both sides of a story, whether it’s reality and my kids are accusing each other of something, to my fantasy world where I spend my time reading or writing.

The Indie book revolution opened us up to so many new possibilities, new authors, new styles, and a whole lot of new stories. I’d always been taught I couldn’t write a story giving two different point of views unless I did it in third person. That didn’t fit very well for someone who likes to tell a story in first person. To me, first person draws me so much closer to a character. There’s just something about hearing “I” that makes me feel like I’m personal friends with a character.

What draws me even closer is when I get into the heads of both my hero and heroine. My books are all about emotion, and I want my readers to feel exactly what it is my characters are feeling. I feel I can do this best by writing in first person and switching point of views. I have to thank the Indie revolution for opening this door for me, because while it of course had been done before, it was highly frowned upon and I’d always been discouraged from attempting it. 

When We Collide is a romance filled with high emotions, turbulence, lies, pain, and redemption, told through the eyes of both Maggie and William. I loved being able to get inside both their heads as they relived their traumatic past and strove to finally be free and gain their future. 




A.L. Jackson first found a love for writing during her days as a young mother and college student. She filled the journals she carried with short stories and poems used as an emotional outlet for the difficulties and joys she found in day-to-day life.
Years later, she shared a short story she’d been working on with her two closest friends and, with their encouragement, this story became her first full length novel. A.L. now spends her days writing in Southern Arizona where she lives with her husband and three beautiful children. Her favorite pastime is spending time with the ones she loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! :) I love reading each one.